When choosing a television up to 29" in size, you should first consider whether you want a model with or without smart features. You should also consider the size, resolution, optimal viewing distance, refresh rate, type of tuner (terrestrial, cable or satellite broadcasting), and other practical functions.
Classic or Smart – what is best?
In addition to standard television broadcasts, smart TVs allow you to watch Youtube videos, view pictures and videos from your mobile phone or tablet, and much more (functions vary from model to model). To use all these functions you must be connected to the Internet. Compared to traditional TVs with similar image quality, Smart TVs are slightly more expensive.
Compared with smart TVs with similar picture quality, classic TVs are cheaper but don't have the range of functions that smart TVs offer. Instead they are only suitable for watching TV and playing movies from a computer or DVD / Blu-ray player.
What else should I consider when buying a 29" or smaller TV?
The optimum viewing distance, size and resolution
When choosing the size and resolution of a television, you should consider how far you will sit from the TV.
|Screen Size (1" = 2.54 cm) / What you watch
||SD programs, movies on DVD*
||HD programs, movies on Blu-ray*
|20" (about 51 cm)
|24" (about 61 cm)
|28" (about 71 cm)
*A large proportion of television programs are now broadcast in SD resolution (576p), whereas some programs broadcast in HD (720p or 1080i).
- To watch SD programs or movies on DVD, a model with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels will suffice.
- To watch HD programs or movies on Blu-ray, we recommend a model with Full HD resolution (1920 × 1080 pixels) or higher.
Panel refresh rate
- 50Hz panel - found on cheaper TVs. Compared with 100Hz panels, images are less smooth and sharp during fast-moving scenes.
- 100Hz panel - provides sharp and smooth images during fast-moving scenes. You will really notice the difference in quality when watching sports or action movies.
- DVB-S / S2 - for receiving satellite television broadcasts.
- DVB-C - for receiving cable television.
- DVB-T - for digital terrestrial (aerial) broadcasting.
- DVB-T2 + HEVC - for digital terrestrial (aerial) TV broadcasting in the new standard.
It is important to make sure that the place where the TV will be used has access to the same type of broadcast that the TV itself supports. Don't forget to buy a cable to connect the TV to a satellite, antenna, or a cable TV socket.
Backlight (only LED LCD TV)
- Direct TV with LED - compared with Edge LED, these models offer evenly backlit displays and truer black colour, providing better contrast. The disadvantage is the higher price and usually larger dimensions (depth).
- Television with Edge LED - compared with similarly sized TVs with Direct LED, these models are often less expensive and have a smaller dimensions (depth). However, they usually provides less contrast and lower illumination. The difference is especially apparent towards the sides of the TV screen, which may be somewhat lighter.
Useful features and functions
- WiFi - wirelessly connect a TV to a home network and the Internet.
- Bluetooth - wirelessly connect a TV soundbar, speakers, headphones, keyboard or mouse.
- USB connector - play movies from an external storage device; connect a keyboard or mouse.
- Miracast feature - wirelessly display photos or play videos from your phone and tablet on your TV.
- Widi function - wirelessly view pictures, play videos, or display your desktop notebook TV.
- PIP / PBP / POP - watch two television stations at once.
- CI slot - insert the card and connect directly to a TV with a satellite or cable television outlet. So you don't need to purchase a set-top box.
- PVR (Personal View Recorder) - record a film, serial or program on a USB disk or flash drive. On a TV with a dual tuner you can simultaneously record one TV station while watching another.
Was this information useful?
This form is for collecting Feedback Only. If you have any other inquiries, please our Customer Care team here.
Is something missing or displayed incorrectly? Let us know your suggestions so we can improve the website and customer experience.
Thank you for rating