How to choose a badminton racket?
Choose your racket according to your level and play style. Read the description of each level and try to fit into one of these:Continue
- Beginner - occasional and recreational player, who plays badminton very little, goes to the hall 1-2 times per month, or is just about to start with badminton. This player should choose a flexible to moderately flexible racket that is hand-heavy or even. Avoid the head-heavy rackets (above 315 mm).
- Advanced player with a technical style - can return even very difficult shots in a way that breaks the opponents attack, responds with a short throw. The ideal racket should be flexible, hand-heavy or even.
- Advanced player with universal / versatile style - uses the entire surface of the court, quickly turns defense into attack. The ideal racket should be moderately stiff and even.
- Advanced player with aggressive style - prefers short exchanges, a lot of medium-height balls, punishes the opponent with a smash. The ideal racket should be very stiff and head-heavy.
Technical characteristics of badminton rackets
When it comes to racket flexibility, there are these two basic facts:
- The more flexible the racket, the better control - easier defence.
- The stiffer the racket, the faster the game, but the racket is also harder to handle - easier offense.
For each racket we determine up to seven groups of flexibility:
- Extra Flexible (very flexible shaft)
- Flexible (flexible shaft)
- Medium Flex / Dynamic (more flexible shaft)
- Medium / Dynamic (moderately flexible shaft)
- Medium Stiff / Stiff Dynamic (medium-stiff shaft)
- Stiff (stiff shaft)
- Extra Stiff (very stiff shaft)
Balance is measured from the end of the handle toward the head of the racket. The racket can be balanced in different ways:
- Head-heavy - intensifies strike and accelerates swing (> 315 mm)
- Even - a compromise between swing speed and ball control (305-314 mm)
- Hand-heavy - improves sensitivity and ball control (<304 mm)
The lighter the racket, the better the handling.
- Lightweight (<89 g)
- Moderate (90-93 g)
- Heavy (> 94 g)
Was this information useful?
This form is for collecting Feedback Only. If you have any other inquiries, please our Customer Care team here.
Is something missing or displayed incorrectly? Let us know your suggestions so we can improve the website and customer experience.
Thank you for rating