Electric brushcutters are suitable for trimming smaller lawns and grassy areas. They are dependent on the electricity supply, so your range is limited by cord length, which sometimes gets in the way. However, they are cheaper, lighter, quieter and easier to use.Continue
Key parameters when choosing an electric brushcutter
Power consumption and cutting swath
A machine with a higher wattage can better handle dense vegetation–it doesn’t get overloaded or stuck. The higher the power consumption, the more string you can unspool without risking to “choke” the engine.
- 1000-1300 W - copes well with tall grass and thicker herbs.
- 1300-1600 W - can handle dense, scraggly vegetation with woody undergrowth.
Cutting swath indicates how large is the area (strip) the grass trimmer mows. Usually goes hand in hand with performance. The more powerful the trimmer, the larger its cutting swath. Normally ranges between 25 and 45 cm.
- Automatic - the string unspools automatically to the required length
- Bump feed - the mechanism sends some line when you press the head of your trimmer against a flat surface; you can unspool more by continuing bumping it on the ground. After starting the trimmer, the string is automatically shortened over a sharp metal guard edge.
- Manual - with the trimmer turned off, you must manually unspool the string from the head to a desired working length; the string automatically shortens after start up.
- Bike handle - considerably more comfortable for extended work on large areas.
- Loop handle - a basic and not particularly comfortable solution. On the upside, this type is easier to handle in tight spaces and tends to weigh less.
In both cases, a shoulder strap can make your work considerably easier, as it helps spread the trimmer’s weight on your entire body instead of just the hands–something you will definitely appreciate after a few minutes of work.
Generally, the more lightweight the trimmer, the easier it is to work with. The trimmer weight largely depends on the motor performance and most trimmers weight between 4 and 7 kg.
Useful electric brushcutter properties
- Height adjustable handle - makes trimming more comfortable for users with varying heights.
- Split shaft - the ability to split the machine into two parts makes it much easier to transport by car, for example.
- Exchangeable attachments - most trimmers let you choose between a steel blade and a string. If you want more options, you should look into petrol string trimmers.
When using a string trimmer, you should wear standard protective equipment such as work gloves, safety eyewear or safety helmet. If you are using a noisy petrol model, consider purchasing noise-cancelling headphones.
Was this information useful?
This form is for collecting Feedback Only. If you have any other inquiries, please our Customer Care team here.
Is something missing or displayed incorrectly? Let us know your suggestions so we can improve the website and customer experience.
Thank you for rating